They're Stronger Than Us.

"Clap your hands, all you nations; shout to God with cries of joy." Psalm 47:1

My first week here has come to a close, and what a whirlwind it has been. Meeting scores of brand new people, coworkers and friends-as well as learning how to navigate my new unit. All I can say for sure is that this place is special-and to my family and friends that have donated, you have literally no idea the impact you are making on these people here.  A few things have stuck out to me this week that I will share with you-but just know that these patients are so very grateful for the love and healing they receive here.

Community soccer game on the dock
I think I'm in heaven!
So I have only had one day off so far, and have had a few shifts on orientation (pretty much following another nurse around to learn the unit). And already I am off and running on my own. It's much different than what I am used to and I have to admit it's pushed me out of my comfort zone. Coming from a comfy ICU where we have the latest and greatest technology, private rooms, and endless supplies-this is certainly different. We conserve as much as we can here in order to help the most patients. And there is paper charting!! I am working on a 15 bed unit-called "D-Ward". We deal with "Max-Fac patients, which is surgery on their mouths/faces mostly. It is a completely open unit-HIPPA isn't a thing here-and the beds are about a foot or two away from each other. Most of the time it's pretty chaotic but it's been a blessing to see how the patients interact with each other. They often comfort each other, laugh, bicker, and play. It's like one big family. I've been practicing my french with the patients in the ward-they like to make fun of me, but it's okay at least I am attempting!  Workers come through often, singing songs and dancing. I'll be pulling up meds while "night marches" (a.k.a.) singing and dancing is taking place in the hallway. There is no such thing as a "quiet med zone" here. I have already been profoundly touched by the people in Cameroon. A pastor came by to pray with the ward and during his prayer he said, "we have much to be joyful for, God knows what we can handle-he won't give us more, we need to praise him always". That's when I realized. THEY ARE STRONGER THAN US. I couldn't live with the same joy they have if I lived under the same conditions. The pastor also said, "may the nurses and doctors feel the love of Jesus when they touch the patients." I wasn't quite sure how to put in words how I was feeling when I interacted with the patients, but he nailed it. There is so much love and happiness that's spread around on this ship. From the patients-to my coworkers. There is no way I couldn't be thankful for everything that I've been given.

Two patients really stuck out to me. The first one was a little 8 year old girl who had a cleft palate repair. Which pretty much means there was an open hole in the roof of her mouth, which causes difficulty eating-which then increases the likelihood for poor nutrition. She was miserable the day I had her in the morning. She didn't want to interact with me, let alone smile. We made some moves that day and took out the packing in her mouth, as well as her NG tube (which is a feeding tube). When she was free from tubes and able to move around more I got a balloon and started having a catch with her. She smiled for the first time. Something about that smile blessed me. I don't know how to put it in words but you could see happiness written all over her face. She was healed.

Another story was my patient who was a 25 year old male (almost the same age as me) and he had some large vascular growths on his face. It looked like he had large tumors on his one cheek. He had surgery yesterday and was post op day one today. He hasn't stopped looking in the mirror yet. Now granted-his face is not, by any means, healed yet and he will have a lot more healing to do, but he knows he is free of his tumors. He pulled me to the side today and told me he can finally go back to school. In my mind I was wondering why he wasn't in school. He said, "I had to drop out because everyone would stare at me." Not only is his face now fixed-but he is re-enrolling in school to become an engineer. That's how I know this is so much bigger than just us. God is aiding us in transforming lives here for the greater good.

The pool at dusk
Starbucks on the ship!
In addition to work, I've been meeting awesome people here that are fully after our father's heart. They are loving, welcoming, patient and kind. There are over 30 countries represented here, which makes for a very interesting atmosphere. I've already been out in the town of Douala twice. Get this- I attempted Zumba at a local gym here. All I can say is-I don't dance like Beyonce and I've never sweated so much. I also went out to the flower/craft market yesterday-you have to barter prices with the sellers. I think I did a pretty good job and nabbed some African treasures. My friend and I grabbed brunch at a place called Maison H-which was delicious and a nice break from ship food. However-the food here is also great. When I'm not working, there is time to read, catch up with friends, lay by the pool (yes we have a pool!!), stop at the starbucks (yes we have a starbucks!!), play board games, and make new friends. Oh and did I mention the sunsets every night in our backyard? Yeah-amazing!
Overlooking the Atlantic (my backyard for 3 months).
God's perfet masterpiece

Like I said-it's been a whirlwind, and I'm sure I left some things out, but I can't believe that I am here. I am forever grateful for my support back home and I will continue to keep you all updated. Pray for me, reach out to me, and just know there are lives changing here because of your support! Love ya'll!



Outside the market.




Exploring Douala




Brunch in the city. Fresh squeezed orange juice,
chocolate croissants, jam and more!





Comments

  1. Thank you for updating us and posting these pictures. I love the mission field. There is joy and God's presence everywhere. The people are free of our materialism. They are blessed! I love how God is blessing you. Let us know if you get into a soccer game. :O) I pray for you everyday, LJ. Love and Hugs, Thelma. You certainly are on the best road trip!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thelma <3 Thanks for praying-keep it up! Yes you are right-I can just feel the joy floating around this place. These people are amazing. I can't wait to share stories when I get back. Miss you! Give Maggie kisses for me!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Halfway Point

Empowered for a purpose...

Finding joy in the little things